Dossy Shiobara

(aka Dossy)

Hi. I run several wikis using Wikit, especially the AOLserver Wiki [L1 ].

I can be reached at mailto:[email protected] . I blog at .

I've got 4+ years of Tcl, specifically in Vignette StoryServer R4.x and V/5 through 5.6.

  • Web: Vignette, AOLserver, ColdFusion
  • E-commerce: Comergent, OpenMarket
  • Languages: Tcl, Ruby, Perl, C
  • DBMS: Oracle, Sybase, Informix, MySQL
  • OS: Linux, Solaris, AIX

Located in Northern New Jersey and looking for short term contract/consulting work, preferably telecommute. See ...

I'm willing to consider a full-time position given the right offer, though.

LV Are you the one who wrote ?

Dossy Yes, that would be me. Why, did you give it a whack? Think it might be useful if further developed?

(The following should get put somewhere in Category Cryptography, I think.)

In struggling with implementing DSA signature verification, I discovered that math::bignum::powm is slow. Using the algorithm found here [L2 ] for modular exponentiation (i.e., x = a^b mod y), it yielded a faster implementation:

    proc _modexp_bignum {m e n} {
        set p [fromstr 1]
        set zero [fromstr 0]
        set one [fromstr 1]
        set two [fromstr 2]
        while {[gt $e $zero]} {
            if {[eq [mod $e $two] $one]} {
                set p [mod [mul $p $m] $n]
            set m [mod [mul $m $m] $n]
            set e [div $e $two]
        return $p

However, this is still quite slow for large values. So, I converted the inner-workings to use mpexpr and the speedup is tremendous:

    proc _modexp_mpexpr {m e n} {
        foreach v {m e n} {
            set $v [mpexpr [tostr [set $v]]]
        set p [mpexpr 1]
        while {[mpexpr $e > 0]} {
            if {[mpexpr $e % 2 == 1]} {
                set p [mpexpr $p * $m % $n]
            set m [mpexpr $m * $m % $n]
            set e [mpexpr $e / 2]
        return [fromstr $p]

Here's my script that I used to benchmark performance:

    package require math::bignum
    package require Mpexpr

    set g [math::bignum::fromstr 0x626d027839ea0a13413163a55b4cb500299d5522956cefcb3bff10f399ce2c2e71cb9de5fa24babf58e5b79521925c9cc42e9f6f464b088cc572af53e6d78802]
    set u1 [math::bignum::fromstr 0xbf655bd046f0b35ec791b004804afcbb8ef7d69d]
    set p [math::bignum::fromstr 0x8df2a494492276aa3d25759bb06869cbeac0d83afb8d0cf7cbb8324f0d7882e5d0762fc5b7210eafc2e9adac32ab7aac49693dfbf83724c2ec0736ee31c80291]

    # contains ::dsa namespace with _modexp_bignum and _modexp_mpexpr inside.
    source dsa.tcl

    set start [clock seconds]
    puts "math::bignum::powm  [time {math::bignum::powm $g $u1 $p} 5]"
    puts "dsa::_modexp_bignum [time {dsa::_modexp_bignum $g $u1 $p} 5]"
    puts "dsa::_modexp_mpexpr [time {dsa::_modexp_mpexpr $g $u1 $p} 5]"
    set end [clock seconds]

    puts "Total elapsed: [expr {$end - $start}] seconds."

Here's the output:

    math::bignum::powm  55341757 microseconds per iteration
    dsa::_modexp_bignum 56942386 microseconds per iteration
    dsa::_modexp_mpexpr 311979 microseconds per iteration
    Total elapsed: 563 seconds.

As the timings show, the math::bignum::powm and _modexp_bignum are comparable, but the _modexp_mpexpr trashes them both.