William King - interests and other things!
- Database(s) - design/processing, Text Processing, Computerized Typesetting, building of simple tools and scripts, various Wiki etc.
- Programming/scripting languages: Basic, Pascal, C, Tcl/TK, Python, Perl, Java, Rebol, PHP, mySQL, Unix shell and Unix utilities, LaTex, Tex (I support TUG) etc.
- Trying to convince people that TCL/TK not just a funny name!
- I do not participate in "Which Programming Language is the Best" wars! - Have too much fun mixing, matching and learning. (I do like TCL/TK a lot!)
- Basically an Iterative programmer - See what you got, where you want to get to, how to and then do it.
- Wondering how come a Liberal Arts person like me ever got into programming!
- Willing to contribute if I can; even if I do find querky oddball stuff or am incorrect - its just a learning process after all!. (criticism accepted graciously) - wjk
- Build Tcl/TK program for viewing and editing .xls (Excel spreadsheets). wjk tcom excel sample
- Build Tcl/TK program for creating/building code in one of 4 languages (Java, Python, Tcl and Perl) for text processing.
- Build Tcl/TK program to utilize 'dde' - select from list of URLs and display them in 'IE', 'FireFox' or 'Opera'. (too many URLs in my Favorites list).
- Build Tcl/TK program to access - search - display mySQL database (small-medium size).
- Build Tcl/TK program to encrypt/decrypt data text files via Python (Python Cryptography Toolkit) - DES3 encryption. [NB: tcllib has 3DES support.] <- Thank you!
- Build Tcl/TK program to run within Unix (via X-windows) pipes to display data as it passes through
- Build Tcl/TK program to display a canvas - drag and drop shapes onto canvas and create a .png image wjk canvas drag-n-drop sample
- Other programs/scripts to learn things by.
Oddball stuff - Querks
The example below should not be used - thank you Lars H for pointing this out and explaining it to me:
set foo "this is cool"
set bar foo
puts [expr $$bar]
Excel and tcom code below worked:
set EMPTY ""
$cells Item $row $column $EMPTY
whereas the following did not appear to work for me:
$cells Item $row $column ""