A list of all commands that offer some introspection.
It would be useful to understand the definition of introspection being used for the direction of this page. In the way the word is typically used in Tcl, I don't understand the connection to eof, the file commands, some of the interp commands listed perhaps, parray, pid, puts, etc.
Tcl typically has used the word introspection to mean 'command used to return information about some aspect of the tcl interpreter's state'.
MGS [2003/10/03] - Agreed. I'm including commands that can:
- get system information (files, pid, etc)
- display info (puts, parray)
- return info about anything (rather than commands that actually do something)
I've been using many of these commands in a library to dump the complete (as far as possible) state of an interp. I created this page as a reference of all commands that can tell you something about anything.
I guess you could say I'm looking more at system introspection as opposed to interp introspection.
- after - after info
- array - array exists, array get, array names, array size
- encoding - encoding names, encoding system
- file - file atime, file attributes, file channels, file dirname, file executable, file exists, file extension, file isdirectory, file isfile, file link, file lstat, file mtime, file nativename, file normalize, file owned, file pathtype, file readable, file readlink, file rootname, file separator, file size, file stat, file system, file tail, file type, file volumes, file writable
- info - all of them
- interp - interp alias, interp aliases, interp slaves, interp target
- namespace - namespace children, namespace origin, namespace which
- package - package names, package present, package provide, package versions
- clipboard - clipboard get
- event - event info
- font - font actual, font configure, font families, font measure, font metrics, font names
- grab - grab current, grab status
- grid - grid bbox, grid columnconfigure, grid info, grid location, grid propagate, grid rowconfigure, grid size, grid slaves
- image - image height, image inuse, image names, image type, image types, image width
- pack - pack info, pack propagate, pack slaves
- place - place info, place slaves
- selection - selection get, selection own
- tk - tk appname, tk caret window, tk scaling, tk useinputmethods, tk windowingsystem
- winfo - all of them
- wm - all of them